How to reach Capri from Naples, Rome, Amalfi Coast, Sorrento and Campania Islands? Useful info for your holiday!
If you are planning a “dream vacation” in Capri, it is important to know how to reach this beautiful Island located in the Gulf of Naples. Capri is famous for its breathtaking beauty, its enchanting caves and its crystalline beaches. In this article, we will provide you with all the necessary information on how to reach Capri from Naples, Rome, Amalfi Coast, Sorrento and Campania islands.
How to reach Capri from Naples
We leave from Naples, the nearest city to Capri. The most comfortable and cheapest way to reach the Island is to take a ferry or hydrofoil from the Port of Naples. Ferries depart regularly throughout the year and the journey takes approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes. Hydrofoils are faster but also more expensive than traditional ferries. The ticket price varies according to the chosen shipping company and the season.
Connections to Capri leave from two ports in Naples:
- Molo Beverello(departure point for hydrofoils), located in front of the Maschio Angioino;
- Calata Porta di Massa(departure point for ships), which is about a kilometer to the east (continuing to the left with the sea in front).
The good news is that there is a free shuttle that connects the two ports.
From Naples Capodichino Airport
- Bus: the Alibus leaves from the Terminal 1 exit; this is the bus that makes direct connections to the center of Naples. You can buy the ticket directly on board and the journey takes about 40 minutes. The bus stops in front of Molo Beverello (last stop);
- Taxi: At the exit of Terminal 1, you will find a multitude of taxis. Be wary of those who approach you inside the airport to offer you a taxi service, they most likely do not have a regular license. Before starting the journey, ask for the fixed fare for the port (average cost is around €19);
- From Naples Central Underground Station: follow the directions for Metro Line 1 and get off at the “Municipio” stop (there are two stops). The cost of a single route ticket is approximately €1.
Estimated time from Naples airport: 1 hour and 30 minutes.
How to reach Capri from Rome
If you are in Rome and want to visit Capri, you can take a train to Naples and then follow the directions described above. The journey by train from Rome to Naples takes approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes, while the journey by ferry or hydrofoil from Naples to Capri takes 1 hour and 20 minutes.
How to reach Capri from Rome Airport
- From Rome Fiumicino Airport: the fastest connection from Rome Fiumicino Airport to Roma Termini Railway Station is the Leonardo Express;
- From Rome Ciampino Airport: once you arrive in Ciampino, take a bus to Roma Termini Railway Station. From Roma Termini Station, you can take the Freccia Rossa or Italo train to easily reach Naples: the high-speed train takes about 1 hour to connect Rome to Naples. The cost of the ticket is around €40/50.
Estimated time from Rome airport to Capri: minimum 3 hours (if you are lucky with all the connections and choosing the high speed train)
How to reach the island of Capri from the Amalfi Coast
If you are already on the Amalfi Coast, you can reach Capri by ferry or hydrofoil from Positano, Amalfi or Sorrento. Sea connections are very frequent during the summer season, but during winter, they could be reduced. It is advisable to check the ferry timetables in advance and book your ticket a little in advance to avoid surprises.
How to reach Capri from Sorrento
From the port of Sorrento, Marina Piccola, both hydrofoils and ferries, leave for Capri. In summer the routes are particularly frequent (one route every 30 minutes approximately) and the journey takes 25 minutes. The port of Sorrento can be reached following the stairs that come down from Piazza Tasso.
How to reach Capri from the Campania Islands
If you are spending your holidays on the Campania Islands, such as Ischia or Procida, you can reach Capri via ferry that leaves directly from the Port of Casamicciola (Ischia) or from Marina Grande (Procida). Again, it is important to check the ferry timetables and book in advance.
Once you arrive in Capri, there are several options to go around the Island. You can take a taxi or a bus to reach the different locations, or rent a scooter or a car if you prefer to move freely. Keep in mind that there are many narrow and winding roads on the Island; therefore, if you do not feel confident in driving, it is advisable to choose public transport.
Need help buying tickets and checking ferry and hydrofoil schedules to Capri? Click HERE
Reaching Capri from Naples, Rome, the Amalfi Coast and the Campania Islands is quite simple thanks to the many sea connections available. It is important to plan your trip in advance by checking the ferry timetables and booking your tickets a little in advance, especially during the summer season when the number of tourists increase. Once you arrive in Capri, you will be able to enjoy a dream vacation among enchanting beaches, breathtaking landscapes and delicious cuisine.
You might be interested in: what to see in Capri in 3 days
Do you want to live a luxury experience in an exclusive villa in the heart of Capri? Do not hesitate to contact us to receive all the useful information.